Moving Address Book Contacts onto Google?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Drumjim85, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

So I just got a Google voice account. Previously I've never bothered with having my Google contact list up-to-date because I only used it for emails. But now, seeing as i can forward different numbers to different phones, having everyone's phone numbers in my Google contact list seems like a good idea.

Is there any easy way I can import my Mac address book (or iPhone address book) into my Google contact list?

2. tuinte macrumors member

Address Book > Preferences > General

Check "Sync with Google."

3. Drumjim85 thread starter macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Thanks!

Here's the warning it gives:

4. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

I believe the "sync with Google" is initiated only when an iPod Touch and/or iPhone is connected to your Mac. In other words, the Address Book app does not sync with Google on it's own, continuously, in the background.

Another method is to Export contact info from Address Book, then import them to Google (thru the Gmail Contacts manager).

5. tuinte macrumors member

Once an iPhone or iPod touch is connected to the computer, the option becomes directly available in Address Book.

6. tuinte macrumors member

That's normal. Syncing, by definition, means one program can add/delete things from the other. In general, you should have a backup of your entire system, though there's nothing more to worry about here than doing any other kind of syncing.