Moving Advice / Housing Cost Analysis (was: Fellow Mac Owners...)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gixxerredliner, Feb 4, 2009.

1. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

I need some advice, well i decided to purchase a 2.4 macbook alu. But I actually have another question which doesnt relate to the macbook but may be something you all have expierenced.

Currently i live at an apt paying $999 for rent plus $50 bucks for utilities. I have an option to move to a better apt paying $850 for rent with utilities included. The catch is to get out of my lease at apt A I will have to pay 2 months rent on the 1st of march so $2000.

Reasons I want to move, apt is kinda cold(temp), doesnt enforce noise rules, land lord sucks, old appliances. Ive talked to the wife and she wants to move, only thing is i think that over time we wont be saving that much money heres my calculations.

My lease at my current apt ends in sept 09 so i would have paid
    $999 x 12 months=$11,988 plus utilities $100 x 12=1200

Vs moving and having to pay $2000 plus ive been living here for 6 months and have already paid $6000 thats a total of $8000. Than i'd be moving paying only $850 a month.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's there now. Please use informative thread titles (as well as the appropriate forum for your post).

You already did the math... if it's a better apartment and it won't cost you anything to move, why not do it? Isn't that like saying, "Hay guys, I have a job I hate, and I just got offered a job I'd love, but the problem is that it doesn't come with a raise?" :p

3. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Sir

Actually it does cost me to move, my current lease with my apartment isnt up until sept 09, so in order to break the lease i have to pay 2 months rent even though i wouldnt be living there at the end of FEB but they still want me to pay for March and April which is $2000. It is a better apartment and i would be saving money monthly but its just the up front cost to get out of my lease is making me reconsider.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Why don't you wait until your lease is up and then move into the other apartment. Or is this offer a limited-time only thing?

Also, if this new apartment will be so much better, even if you come out even this year it would be worth it.

5. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Sir

I could wait until my lease is up, but im kinda not happy at my current apt. And you are right if the apartment is so much better than it would be worth breaking even this year. I guess im just having a hard time trying to figure out would it be worth the 2g's but what you said makes perfect sense.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe I misunderstood... you said that the rent is $150 less per month and you also have $50 in utilities per month incorporated into the rent, which you pay separately now. So that's $200/month in cost difference, right? Do you plan on living there for a very short time? In 10 months, the cost difference washes out the $2000 you'd spend. In a year, it should probably even pay for local moving expenses....

7. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Sir

Ok I live in anchorage alaska because im in the air force, I leave this base for sure in August 2010 to go to a new base. I could be deploying possibly in December 2009. My current apt is $999 for rent plus $100 for utilities a month. The apartment im interested in is $850 a month and that price includes utilities.