Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Has anyone done this?

Right now I have hundreds of photos that I've accumulated over the years in my Pictures folder but none of them are in folders because I have so many.

I feel like if I moved everything into iPhoto (and deleted them on my HDD once they've been copied) that it'll be much easier to find and view them.

My only fear is that because iPhoto is crazy with all it's contents that it would be hard to find the original files, upload them to sharing sites, etc.

Am I wrong?

alienapp

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2010
For me the move to iPhoto was not that difficult. But I did need to create quite events and to arrange quite of photos. That was however a one time thing, and its not that hard to share photos from IPhoto.

If you are scared that you may have any problems than why not try transferring the files to IPhotos than check it out first before you delete the files from your hard drive?

Hope that helps :D

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
As the previous poster suggested, just copy your photos into iPhoto, arrange and organize them as you like, and, when you have everything the way you want it, then you can delete the original folders.

iPhoto is very easy and intuitive to use. Definitely give it a try. Much better than just keeping them organized on your own.

mrderik

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Alaska
Greetings -
I had the same hesitation - but I just finished importing 4,400+ photos into 120+ separate events. What helped me 'transition' was being able to utilize the 'other library' feature. So I have two separate Libraries for my 2 major categories. This breaks up the collection into one library of 50 and one of 70 events. This is also handy for geotagging the events so you can have separate maps - if that is what is important to you.

This is the 'alt/option' key while opening iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.