Moving an OLD iTunes library

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NMBob, May 1, 2017.

1. NMBob macrumors 6502a

Hi!

My brother has an old black plastic MacBook with an I don't know what version of iTunes. Please don't make me ask him -- through phone/email -- which version :). I know the layout of the iTunes directory is the old pre-iTunes Media folder style. He wants to move everything to a Windows PC. That old version of iTunes won't synch his iOS10 iPad, and this way I can just say that I don't know anything about Windows. :) Will 12.6 on Windows-whatever be able to figure out what to do with the old library if he just moves the whole iTunes folder to the Music folder on the PC and fires up iTunes? I know the version of iTunes where the structure changed knew what to do, but I don't know if it's too late and I don't have an old-style library to play with.

On a related note, is there a way to handle ebooks for an iPad on Windows?

Thanks!

2. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I think it should be able to read the old library. Worst case you could drop the entire old iTunes library into the new "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. The new iTunes will figure it out!
    Don't expect this to be a quick process. Depending on size, speed of hard drive.

iBooks on iOS/iPad should be able to read most ebook formats. I prefer pdf format

3. NMBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi!

I was able to get a new Win10 PC and install iTunes on it, and clean install OSX 10.6.0 on an old MacBook and create a small iTunes 8 (!) collection. When I copied the old iTunes folder over and replaced the one on the PC and started iTunes it "updated the library" but things were not quite right. All of the files were there, but I couldn't see what were Home Videos or the Audiobook I had added on the MacBook. iTunes 8 didn't know about Home Videos, and I suppose that didn't help. The Audiobook is a mystery. Discovered that the 'keep the library organized' and 'copy files to the library' options were not checked. Checked those then did the File | Organize Library..., but it didn't rearrange things where the Movies, Home Videos, etc. folders were outside of the file with all of the albums like the current version does. The Home Videos and Audiobooks still didn't show up. I think the only way to do it is just drag and drop everything. One problem is that he has all of the artwork for the music, but it's not IN the song files. It's all the the Album Artwork folder. When he drug all of the songs over the artwork wasn't there. Will maybe have to pull out all of the non-music stuff, copy the music files and Album Artwork folders, get them to show up, and then drag and drop the movies and TV shows and other stuff. Maybe. :)

Thanks!