moving .app files around after installation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zagu, Sep 22, 2010.

1. zagu macrumors newbie

Hi

I like to keep my Applications directory tidy, so I have my software in several sub directories. I haven't had any problem moving the .app files around until I installed Virtual Box. It installs under Applications without asking anything, and if I just plain move the .app file somewhere else, the program doesn't run.

So, coming from Linux, my first instinct when a sw doesn't work from it's GUI launchers is to try run it from command line to see any potential error messages, and sure enough:

Code:
    sakus@MBP13 /Applications/Utilities/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS $ ./VirtualBox
    VirtualBox: supR3HardenedVerifyDir: Failed to open "/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS": No such file or directory (2)

So my question is - as I'm still not too familiar with these .app bundles - based on that error message, which file should I look for to try and edit the hard coded directory paths ?

Thanks in advance

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

This seems like a good question for http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

I take it that you have no app files in /Applications, just some number of folders? Otherwise, I'd just convince myself that VirtualBox is an application and leave it in /Applications. Having to hand edit directory paths seems like a big hassle in order to gain a tiny bit of tidiness.

3. zagu thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, d'oh, was trying this in the morning quickly before leaving for work and I did glance over virtualbox.org to look for a link to their forums but couldn't find one on the first look so I figured, eh, maybe they don't have an official one and resulted in posting here as it might've just as well been about whatever else piece of software (imho)

either way, thanks, I'll check their forums

*edit*

Guess I shouldn't even try (http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33930&p=151725&hilit=%2FApplications#p151725) :/ Oh well, I'll just have to live with it.

And yes, I have no (other) applications directly under /Applications, just subdirs such as Multimedia, Network, Games, etc etc.. otherwise it would just be one big mess as it already was with all the preinstalled stuff.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Problem is that it was written with absolute rather than relative pathnames, so it is expecting to find things in specific locations.

I take it you are just trying to organize your Application folder into a hierarchy rather than being flat. One problem with this is it will also mess up the OSes repair permissions and can also prevent updates from installing.

Much better is to create your own Application folder (or use the one already in your home folder) and use aliases to the applications. That keeps the OS and the applications happy while still allowing the hierarchical organization. I do this, and then put the folder in the dock.

5. zagu thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks for the tip, I'll likely end up doing something like that.