Moving App Folders to new Mac

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by emuyshondt, Aug 27, 2012.

1. emuyshondt macrumors member

I tried to search for this, but did not find an answer.

I had my iPad sync'd to iTunes on a PC. I recently moved to a new MacBook Pro. I don't have the PC anymore.

I was able to recreate my music lib ray, and sun the iPad to it. I erased the old music and re-downloaded what I have on the MacBook.

My problem is now how to keep all the folders I've created on my iPad to organize my apps. I have been able to download all the apps to iTunes on my new MAcBook. I have all the app files, but if I turn on "Sync Apps" for my iPad I am warned that all the apps will be erased, and I'm afraid I will also lose all the folders into which I've organized my apps. I have over a dozen folders with as many apps in each folder, all partitioned by things like Communication, Travel, Media, Games, Utilities, etc.

Is there some way to move the folder structure I've created for my apps onto my new MacBook? I've already transferred all purchases from the iPad to the new machine. I have also created a backup of the iPad under iTunes.

2. emuyshondt thread starter macrumors member

Well, I still haven't figured out how to move the folders to my MacBook, but I found out I can just back up everything to iCloud.

I did not think that would work because I have a 64GB iPad with only 10 GB free. However I went ahead and tried anyway, and the backup was only 825 MB. I'll probably just use that backup and sync process for both my phone and my iPad. I'll just keep my non-iTunes music and videos on the MacBook and sync those separately.

I still don't know how to get everything onto the MacBook, but it really doesn't matter as long as I'm backed up somewhere.