Moving Apple IDs around

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Christoffee, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Christoffee macrumors regular

Christoffee

For reasons that are not important, I am moving Apple IDs around. The situation was:
    AppleID1 on Email2
    AppleID2 on Email1

I want to achieve:
    AppleID1 on Email1
    AppleID2 on Email2

So, AppleID2 has been moved to Email3. So Email1 is now free.

But, when I try to move AppleID1 to Email1 it tells me that the email address is in use. Is this just a timing issue (I only freed up Email1 last night) or can an email address never be reused?

Thanks Guys.

2. bigmikeyp macrumors regular

bigmikeyp

You're (currently) unable to do what you're after; I have the same setup and understand any frustration.

Apple's workaround was to allow separate Apple ID's to be used on iOS (and Mac?) for iCloud and App Store/iTunes purchases.

3. Christoffee thread starter macrumors regular

Christoffee

So are you saying that Email1 can never be used for an AppleID in future?

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Unfortunately, at least at present, this is true.

Apple likes to write off addresses it seems. Because in addition to an email address being unable to be used as another Apple ID once it has been used as an Apple ID, they also do things like stop any address that has ever been an iCloud alias ever being used by anyone else ever again.

Combine this with the fact that to create an Apple ID you need an existing non-Apple email address, and you see that the whole Apple ID system is a total cluster****.

5. Christoffee thread starter macrumors regular

Christoffee

Thanks for the intel.