Moving AppleCare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gazmac2010, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Gazmac2010 macrumors newbie

Hello all.

Back in August 2009, I purchased a MacBook Pro and then later on AppleCare. Unfortunatly, about 3 weeks ago I dropped my Targus laptop rucksack bag about a foot and I ended up denting the corner of the MacBook Pro :mad:.

Anyway, the insurance company say that the laptop is beyond economical repair and that I've got to get pricing for a new one.

Does anyone know if it is possible to move the AppleCare over from the damaged laptop to the new one or do I need to buy that again?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Gaz

2. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Barring an answer from some informed person, a quick phone call to 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) should do the trick for you.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Apple will definitely let you request a pro-rated refund of your remaining AppleCare, which you could then apply towards the new AppleCare for the replacement machine. They may let you transfer it and keep the previous expiration date, but in my experience, that's only been true when they replaced the machine under AppleCare, not if you replace it yourself.

jW

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to buy AppleCare for the new laptop.

According to an internal memo:

5. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Apple will often-times go outside a policy such as the one shown above to offer some kind of courtesy like a pro-rated refund. They may not, and it may be a waste of time, but in my experience it is usually worth calling to chat about it.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

^^^ This above is the answer ... get your pro-rated refund, then buy new AC :cool: