Moving applications across computers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 204467, Jun 29, 2010.

1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I'm running a Mac right now, but I'll be getting a new one this summer. I'm going to give my dad my current computer and get a new iMac, but I want to save as much time reorganizing my setup, so I'll be transferring via Firewire cable. I know how that works, but what I'm really curious about is whether or not I have to re-download all my applications.

Is is possible to just replace the application folder on the new computer with that of my current one (soon to be my father's)? I know that applications on a Mac are kind of like little bundles of information- the icons contain all the necessary code and whatnot (is it obvious I really don't know much about programming yet?), so can I just move the applications directly over, or do I have to re-download them all?

It's not a problem if I do have to re-download them, but to quote a literary character of old, "I would prefer not to." (10 awesome points for the first to tell me who said that)

2. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never have and don't intend to because I don't know if I'll have room in my dorm next year for an external drive. I know that's a bad reason, but I also don't have a lot of money to buy a large enough drive to make that economical/I'm cheap.

That being said, if I were to make one Time Machine backup, I can use the Migration Assistant that opens when I first turn on the computer to move my files, correct? Or is there some special trick I should know about?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As the links I gave you explain it in detail, here the short version.

Setup Assistant is used during the first startup of the new Mac or a new installation or Mac OS X for transferring data from another Mac or Time Machine backup to your Mac.

Migration Assistant can be used any time you want, after you set your Mac up of course, to transfer data from another Mac or TM backup to your Mac.