Moving Applications from one internal drive to another internal drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shakk1976, Feb 19, 2010.

1. shakk1976 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a Dual 1.8 G5 and my hard drive has started to make a clicking sound every now and then. I believe it may be on the verge of dying anyday. Since i have space to put in another internal hard drive i am planning to get a WD Black Caviar 1TB and put it in.

Now my question is how do i move all my application from the old internal drive to the new internal drive.

From what i have researched it seems that using a enclosure is the way to go but all the info i have seen is referring to replacing the drive rather adding a new one.

I would like to move everything to the new drive and make that a master.

What is the best way to perform this task?

Please advise. Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If I am understanding you correctly, just clone it with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper

3. shakk1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for your reply

So just to be clear.

- I get the new drive
    - Instal it in the second bay
    - Use carbon copy to clone the drive

Now do i need to install the OS on the new drive since i would like to make that master since chances are my original 80gig will most likely be done. Does Carbon copy the OS as well

Do i need to flip the locations of the drive ex put the ITB first and then 80gig ?

4. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

5. shakk1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks i will this a try tomorrow morning. Will install the new hard drive. Use CCC to move everything over to new internal drive and pop out the old drive.

Just looked at CCC website for steps. Looks fairly easy