Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcorai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
Hi, I need to remove all my apps from iTunes but I don't know how and if they will be able in iCloud.

I have more than 70GB of apps on my disk. I would like to clean my 250GB disk and this is the reason I want to remove those purchases but I'm not sure if they will be able in iCloud later if I remove them from iTunes.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Hi, I need to remove all my apps from iTunes but I don't know how and if they will be able in iCloud.

I have more than 70GB of apps on my disk. I would like to clean my 250GB disk and this is the reason I want to remove those purchases but I'm not sure if they will be able in iCloud later if I remove them from iTunes.

They are there now.

Go into the app store, tap on updates, and tap on purchased.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Just make sure to tell iTunes not to sync apps to your iPhone any more, or it will erase those apps after you delete them from the computer. You can simply go to the Apps tab in the iPhone's settings (within iTunes, not on the phone) and uncheck the "Sync Apps to this iPhone" box.

jW

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Also, any apps that have been pulled from the app store will not be available for re-download.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Good to know.

What about music? I have 40GB. Can I keep it on iCloud?

Apple.com said:
As part of iCloud, iTunes in the Cloud takes what you buy on iTunes on one device and pushes it to all your other devices, wirelessly and without syncing. With iTunes Match, even the songs you’ve imported from CDs are stored in iCloud — so you can access them on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, Mac, or PC. And the iTunes Store now features thousands of movies and TV shows in stunning 1080p HD.
Yes, for $25 a year.

EDIT: Just noticed you are in Argentina. Not sure if Match is available and how much there, so you need to simply check your on-line Apple site and see.

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

My suggestion would be to remove the apps you are no longer using. I have about a half GB of apps that I use. I'm sure if I hadn't cleaned up, I'd have several GBs of apps in the iTunes library.

Also, any apps that have been pulled from the app store will not be available for re-download.
An important thing to note.

What about music? I have 40GB. Can I keep it on iCloud?
As was said, iTune Match, but note this is not a backup service. You should keep your own backup of your music if you're going to delete it from your computer.

SEGeologist

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Pangea

Exact reason that Apple's distribution system for software "apps" is horrible. Would rather have a disk with purchase. Especially when some of the software is 89.00 - 200.00 or more.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Exact reason that Apple's distribution system for software "apps" is horrible. Would rather have a disk with purchase. Especially when some of the software is 89.00 - 200.00 or more.
Of course many people will just lose the disc.

Recordable DVDs exist for a reason besides putting video on them.

SEGeologist

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
Pangea
Of course many people will just lose the disc.

Recordable DVDs exist for a reason besides putting video on them.

Having been in computers since the 70's, I can say that those recordable DVD and CDs do not last as long as the pressed ones produced for manufacturing uses.

Sad to say I still have 5.25 floppies that still boot.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Having been in computers since the 70's, I can say that those recordable DVD and CDs do not last as long as the pressed ones produced for manufacturing uses.

Sad to say I still have 5.25 floppies that still boot.
In general, I agree that pressed optical discs last longer than burned ones. However, I have seen some commercially pressed discs that don't last that long, so you need to copy those for best chances of having a working copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.