Moving apps from pro to air using external hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unbelievable99, Dec 26, 2012.

1. unbelievable99 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I wanted to try to copy my apps from my pro retina 13 inch to air 13 inch (not moving copying, I want them to stay on the 13 retina), so I did.

First I tried to connect both computers, but then I realised I didn't have the basic USB to USB connection. So instead I thought I would put the apps on my external hard drive and move them (the apps include keynote, pages, and numbers). I didnt expect it to work, but it did! I saved around 100 dollars of buying new apps.

What I'm worried about is that because I didn't download from the mac app store would they slow my laptop down or something? And because they are not listed under purchases, will they not be updated (when there is an update will it not show becasue they were not purchased)? Is there a better way to copy apps? Is it better not to use hard drives to copy them in case it makes something slower? Note that I use the same apple ID for both the pro retina and air on the app store

2. unbelievable99 thread starter macrumors member

Found another way

Because it's the same apple ID. I saw under purchases all my purchases from my pro retina 13 inch. This is a better way right? And do u think that I should keep the same ID so that I buy something on one I can download on the other? or should they have separate ID's?

Thanks

3. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Just like on a iPhone or iPad, once you buy a app with a Apple ID, you own that app. If you buy a new computer you can install those apps that you already have purchased so long as you are using that same Apple ID.