Moving apps from the Dock to Menu Bar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anthonyb, Sep 9, 2008.

1. anthonyb macrumors member

I was just curious if anyone had some insight on something I have been trying to figure out lately.

I run a good number of small apps all the time, which I would like to not run in the dock (or my cmd + shift menu) but rather run in the menu bar. The apps dont natively support it so im wondering if there is some type of process/tutorial I can use to possibly enable this myself?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The menu bar isn't for launching apps. It's for menu items. The Dock is designed to be a launchpad for frequently used applications. They serve different purposes.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No. Suggest it to the developers. Apple has made it harder to do some things on the menu bar.

TEG

4. anthonyb thread starter macrumors member

Yes this might be true, but in my case, I have a time tracking application that is launched on startup, and only needs to be used a few times a day. So having it down in the dock and in my cmd+tab menu is just troublesome.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Do they have widget equivalent? maybe Yahoo! widgets even?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You might try Dockless to remove them from the Dock, but most applications don't give you the option of showing an icon in the menubar. Instead, try just using Spotlight or Quicksilver to launch them quickly (Spotlight in Leopard is an amazingly fast application launcher, though Quicksilver's generally regarded to be faster as well as more flexible).

jW