Moving AT&T Ipad 1 to 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lalombard, Mar 4, 2012.

1. lalombard macrumors newbie

Hi everyone - I'm pretty excited about the upcoming ipad3 - my ipad1 is getting a little old...
    Anyway, I have an unlimited data plan on my ipad and don't want to lose it- when I upgrade to my new ipad, can I switch my plan over to the new one? Is it just a matter of swapping the sim card?

Thanks for the help

2. aypues macrumors regular

No one really knows yet. You can certainly do that upgrading to the iPad2, but it is unknown whether or not AT&T will let unlimited data subscribers carry over their plans to the iPad3. I am included in this group and am eagerly anticipating an answer soon after the announcement Mar 7th. Hopefully we'll know soon.

I am actually holding off on selling my iPad1 because of the possibility AT&T might not allow us to tranfer our plans, and I routinely use 4-5gb data per month.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

5. aypues macrumors regular

Not to get caught up on semantics, but the article is talking only about "smartphones", which the iPad is not. In fact, AT&T has been threatening to take this action since last October and it has not gotten passed down to me or any other iPad users I know still on unlimited data plans.

6. jsmith1 macrumors member

Yep, that article has nothing to do with iPads that I can tell, I have the unlimited plan on iPad and to me is way more important and useful than having it on smartphone. My plan or speed hasn't been touched on iPad so far.

The op brought up something that I wanted to address as well, as I really don't want to lose this plan while moving to iPad 3. Haven't heard anything yet on that.

7. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Same here....ipad1 and unlimited and no issues.

Interested to see how ipad3 plays out but I'm not giving up unlimited till they tell me I must.

8. lalombard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for your input - just 2.5 hours left to wait!!
    :D