Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCAVS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
I have had no problems with my ATV 160 on my 1080p Pioneer Elite plasma TV (PRO-FHD1).... I just bought a PS3 for that room and moved the ATV to another room which has a 720p Pioneer 5070 plasma tv. The ATV is sending a signal and I can watch my pictures, home moveis, etc. but when I try to play a previously purchased movie, it says there is an HDCP problem and will not play it. Any thoughts? Is there any setting change I need to make? All the connections are with HDMI. Shouldn't a purchased movie residing on my ATV play on a 720p plasma using HDMI?

For bonus, any advice on how to use the PS3 to view my family pictures and movies would be appreciated. Cna it stream from my ATV or do I need to put it on a computer/HD somewhere?

Thanks!!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Likely means that something happened that either the TV or the AppleTV didn't like during the HDCP handshake, thus disabling playback of HDCP-protected sources.

NYCAVS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Likely means that something happened that either the TV or the AppleTV didn't like during the HDCP handshake, thus disabling playback of HDCP-protected sources.

Any ideas on how to get it working?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Any ideas on how to get it working?
Not really, it can be a difficult thing to figure out. My first suggestion would be to turn off the AppleTV, switch to the HDMI input on the TV, and power the AppleTV back on... the AppleTV will try to renegotiate HDCP with the TV when it comes back up, then try to play the video. If it works, at least you know they are capable of playing nicely, however this likely won't completely solve your problem.

At this point, its hard to say which device is causing the problems... the AppleTV or the TV.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
If you can't get it to work over HDMI, try component. Be sure to disconnect your HDMI cable from your Apple TV, since it will default to HDMI if is sees that a cable is connected.

NYCAVS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Not really, it can be a difficult thing to figure out. My first suggestion would be to turn off the AppleTV, switch to the HDMI input on the TV, and power the AppleTV back on... the AppleTV will try to renegotiate HDCP with the TV when it comes back up, then try to play the video. If it works, at least you know they are capable of playing nicely, however this likely won't completely solve your problem.

At this point, its hard to say which device is causing the problems... the AppleTV or the TV.

Thanks, will try tonight.

NYCAVS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
If you can't get it to work over HDMI, try component. Be sure to disconnect your HDMI cable from your Apple TV, since it will default to HDMI if is sees that a cable is connected.

Thanks. Will be my backup plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.