Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
My old iPhone has numerous audiobooks on it that I now want on my new iPhone. However, I simply cannot work out how to transfer them. Can anyone help ?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
How did you get these audiobooks? If they are from iBooks can’t you download them from the store again?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I bought the from Audible.co.uk.
I use the US Audible site but I’m assuming you too have an Audible app for your phone. Download the app and sign in to your account. It will show the books in your Audible library (after it syncs). Just select whichever ones you want to download to your phone. (I only keep my current listens on my phone but they still show in my library.)

Reactions: akash.nu

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have got the Audible application on my new iPhone, but it shows only the few audiobooks that are already on the iPhone, and does not show the rest of my purchases from Audible.

Last edited:

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Oh, thank you, Yes, the application is working now, and all is well, save that, even though I have now downloaded my remaining purchases, none of them appears in iBooks, and the seems to be no means of getting them there.

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
There's no reason to get them into iBooks, just listen with the Audible app.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
There's no reason to get them into iBooks, just listen with the Audible app.

Apple sells audiobooks via iBooks and that sure is a very valid reason to have them there. I’m not sure what the Audible app does different, if you can also download them etc, but the ones I have bought over the years live in iBooks on my Mac and iPhone.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Of course, I know that you are right, but why is it that, given that every single one of my audiobooks was bought from Audible, all of my audiobooks cannot be played in a single application ?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Of course, I know that you are right, but why is it that, given that every single one of my audiobooks was bought from Audible, all of my audiobooks cannot be played in a single application ?

What do you mean? You can't play all of your audible audiobooks on audible?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I am not sure I follow. What was your workflow in the past? Did you download a file, then import it into iTunes/iBooks, then sync it to the device?

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
Apple sells audiobooks via iBooks and that sure is a very valid reason to have them there. I’m not sure what the Audible app does different, if you can also download them etc, but the ones I have bought over the years live in iBooks on my Mac and iPhone.
OP bought them fro Audible, so that is what we're talking about, not audio books in general. Any book you buy on Audible is available on the "Cloud" tab in the app, and you can download them to your device to listen to them. There is no need to move them into iBooks or anywhere else. If you buy books from elsewhere, obviously you will need to download them from that vendor, and they will go into whatever app they use. In the old days Audible books could go into iTunes and show up in the Music/iTunes apps, but there's no need for that now.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I am able to play all of my purchased audiobooks in Audible. I bought them long enough ago for me not to remember precisely the route by which they found their way on my old iPhone into iBooks. On my old iPhone, all of them were in iBooks. I should like all of them in iBooks on the new iPhone for 2 reasons. First of all, I do not understand why they are not there, and it always troubles me when there is an unexplained departure of this kind. Secondly, and this is the more important reason, iPhone seems to me to work much more smoothly with headphones than does Audible. Suppose that I have started an audiobook this morning, and want to resume listening to it now. If it is in iBooks, I click the switch on my headphones once to launch iBooks, wait for a minute or so, then click again to resume listening. If it is in Audible, the same procedure seems not always to work, and I need to launch Audible via the touch-screen, and similarly to use the touch-screen to resume listening. I have not used Audible until yesterday, so this may be merely due to my unfamiliarity, but, if it is a feature of the application, it is for me a serious drawback.​

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I am able to play all of my purchased audiobooks in Audible. I bought them long enough ago for me not to remember precisely the route by which they found their way on my old iPhone into iBooks. On my old iPhone, all of them were in iBooks. I should like all of them in iBooks on the new iPhone for 2 reasons. First of all, I do not understand why they are not there, and it always troubles me when there is an unexplained departure of this kind. Secondly, and this is the more important reason, iPhone seems to me to work much more smoothly with headphones than does Audible. Suppose that I have started an audiobook this morning, and want to resume listening to it now. If it is in iBooks, I click the switch on my headphones once to launch iBooks, wait for a minute or so, then click again to resume listening. If it is in Audible, the same procedure seems not always to work, and I need to launch Audible via the touch-screen, and similarly to use the touch-screen to resume listening. I have not used Audible until yesterday, so this may be merely due to my unfamiliarity, but, if it is a feature of the application, it is for me a serious drawback.​
I suggest you give the Audible app a chance. It has a lot of useful features. I don’t generally listen with earphones (and when I do they are usually AirPods) but you will find your listening controls are accessible on your phone’s lockscreen. Very convenient.

And don’t forget Audible’s amazing return policy. Don’t like the book? Return it for a refund.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Yes, I had already decided that I was being a little hasty in doubting Audible, and have been persevering with it ('Kim'). I had no idea about the return-policy, I wish that I had known of that before ! Meanwhile, my thanks to you and the other MacForum-users that have come to my aid.

Reactions: artfossil

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Would they have ended up in the iBooks app if you downloaded them on your PC or Mac from Audible's website as a .aax file, imported that into iTunes, and synced it? Seriously though, use the Audible App, the .aax iTunes sync method is a kludgy mess that was cool back when iPods had spinning disks and 30-pin connectors on them. There's an Audible application you can download on your computer to download the .aax files now, but that would then require an import into iTunes and a local sync, which just sounds like a mess compared to using the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.