Moving Avatars!

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
Hey guys,

I've noticed some of you guys's avatars move. I have a GIF animation that I want to set as my avatar but when I upload it its just still. How do you make them move?

Thanks! :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If you open your local version of the file in a browser window, is it animated?

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Your avatar is too big then (either size or dimensions) - vBulletin automatically scales large avatars down and then saves them as an unanimated JPEG for you.

I forget the exact avatar size and dimensions (since I'm not at the magical 500 yet ;)) - it'll be somewhere in the forum FAQ/Rules page :)

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
Yeah its animated.
I'll try uploading it on ImageShack as an avatar and see what happens.

Edit: Imageshack idea didn't work. :(

Edit 2: Dang! Its 20 KB. Just .5 KB over the limit.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
iShane said:
Yeah its animated.
I'll try uploading it on ImageShack as an avatar and see what happens.

Edit: Imageshack idea didn't work. :(

Edit 2: Dang! Its 20 KB. Just .5 KB over the limit.
Drag your completed avatar onto Safari, or whatever browser you use. Is it animated in that case? Or is it just sitting still.

I have never had the forum software even accept an animated avatar that was to big. It always rejected it and said it was over the size limit. I don't believe this software will scale down overweight animated GIF images.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Upload it as an attachment to a post in this thread so that we can have a look at it.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
840quadra said:
I have never had the forum software even accept an animated avatar that was to big. It always rejected it and said it was over the size limit. I don't believe this software will scale down overweight animated GIF images.
I think this was a new feature in vB3.5 - I've seen it occur on two other vB3.5 forums that I visit.

It doesn't scale down the GIFs, it takes the first frame, converts it to JPEG, then scales it down

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
840quadra said:
Drag your completed avatar onto Safari, or whatever browser you use. Is it animated in that case? Or is it just sitting still.

Its still animated when I drag it into Safari.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Okay...it's way too big. Shrink it down to 75 pixels high and you'll be well within the file size limits.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Just center it, reduce the size of the image, and pause it every now and then.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
RidgeRacerType4 said:
I know this may be a bit to much to ask on this thread, but how does one go about making an Animated GIF?
You need to generate each of the individual frames, and then use a tool like GIFfun to combine them all to make the animation.

Photoshop/ImageReady is a great tool because you've got the image creation/manipulation with layers/animation generation all in one package. It's awfully pricey though if all you want to do is make animated GIFs. I think you can also do it using GIMP (free), but I've never tried that out.