Moving avi movie files from a Mac to a PC - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Jun 10, 2009.

1. siam macrumors regular

I have an External USB HDD formatted in Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ) connected to my iMac. on this external HDD I have approx 150GB of movies, ( avi ) that I would now like to transfer to my sisters PC's external USB HDD , which is formatted in NTFS .

I do not have any more external HDD's that I can use to transfer the files , I was trying to think of a way to directly by wire , transfer the avi files from the iMac's external HDD to the PC's external HDD

Can any one think of a way to do the transfer with out too much messing about ..? :)

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

3. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, when I connect the PC's external HDD to the iMac , its reconized , but when I try and move a file to it , I get the '' no go '' symbol
    I am not sure how to over ride ( enable ) the transfer

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You said you were looking for a "direct by wire" solution. If you're willing to consider alternatives...

Your Mac is not able to write to the NTFS filessystem on the PC's external hard drive, though it can read from it. You can either reformat the external drive (erasing its contents), or install some additional plugins to OS X to allow it to write to NTFS.

NTFS 3G is free and may help. Most recommend using it in conjunction with MacFUSE, which is also free.

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

You say "by wire", does that include l-a-networking? .avi files are cross-platform, so you should be able to transfer them that way. They will go to your sister's PC though, not her ext HD.

But scienide has the better suggestion I think, use the cross-platform software.

6. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Guy's for the advice , its much appreciated , I'm going to give it a try

Thanks ... :)