Moving between iMac and Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark88, Apr 23, 2007.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

I just bought a refurb iMac. I also have a Powerbook and Macbook.

I love the keyboard on the Macbook, the problem I have is that the Apple Keyboard that comes with the iMac has a weird layout in comparison. For example the < key is directly above the command key on the Macbook, on the Apple keyboard it's no where near. I'm constantly hitting the wrong keys......

Anyone have any tips or have the same issue?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say nowhere near, do you mean one key away (it's one key above and one key to the left on my Apple Wireless Keyboard, vs. one key above on my iBook), or do you mean that it's in a different location than that?

If the former, then I think it's just something you'll get used to fairly quickly. Remember learning to type. If you keep your hands on the home row (i.e. your two index fingers on "f" and "j"), then the layout of the two keyboards is fairly comparable. If you index everything on the keyboard in its relation to the command key, yes, of course, it's quite different.

If it's the latter, make sure that both of your keyboards are the correct layout for your country, and that you didn't accidentally get a foreign localization keyboard.

3. thesnowman16 macrumors member

thesnowman16

The only tip I can give is to give it time, the more you use the new layout the better you will become with it. Somethings take time. :D

4. theheyes macrumors regular

Short answer: look at the keys before you press them and get used to it.

Failing that; get a new keyboard because to be honest I dont think the iMac keyboard is that good to begin with. Keys too springy in my opinion, amongst other things. But even that is going to take some getting used to.

Its like learning to drive one car. You get in a different one and your clutch control goes out the window because its different. But after youve driven 3 or 4 different vehicles you suddenly click and adapt almost instantly to any after that.