Moving bootcamp config to new HD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dr. McKay, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I have a bootcamp config with SL and Win7 on my internal 320Gb HD.
    Suppose I replace this HD with a new 1Tb one. How do I move the contents of my internal HD to the new one without having to reinstall everything.

I have an external 1.5Tb USB2 HD with around 1Tb free space. Maybe that could be of some use ? I know I could make a disk image file of my OS X partition wiht Carbon copy cloner, but how would I make an image of the entire HD with the 2 partitions.

What I would like to do is :
    - make duplicate/image of my internal HD and copy it to my external HD
    - take out old HD, put in new
    - copy disk image back to new HD.

Would this work ?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In windows 7 use a external and in Windows 7 Control panel use the backup utility. It backs up all the user data incase of a reinstall. Then you reimport that data back in after the Windows 7 boot install.

3. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but then I'd have to reinstall Win7 all over again, with all the updates. I would just like to simply put the disk image back and be done with it...

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can use Clonezilla, which requires a reboot to their image. http://clonezilla.org/

Winclone works, but under Lion you need to use an unofficial modification to the program that I can't link to due to forum rules.

B

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, just a plain reinstall. I tried Clonezilla and couldn't get it to work. I haven't found a good solution for backing up and restoring a Windows Bootcamp partition. Still looking though...

6. macBULLETPROOF, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

macBULLETPROOF macrumors newbie

Which version of CloneZilla Because i was able to clone a 250gb drive from a powerbook to a 1tb drive. You may not have copied the bootsector information.

For Me, a straight clone of the whole drive worked.

But when i tried to move the BOOTCAMP partition to the end of the drive and expand the hps+ drive... BOOTCAMP didnt work. I had to remove all the partitions except for the HPS+ (this drive had a bootcamp drive and a diskutility drive) I then expanded the HPS+ partition. I went back into X and remade my bootcamp drive and installed win7.

I tried to clone my old BOOTCAMP partition to the new drive (in its new location) but it didnt work. I read later that using disk utility... you can copy the files from the BOOTCAMP partition, and copy them back to the BOOTCAMP partition on the new drive (partition in new location.. keeping file permissions)

The only hangup was that you had to atleast start the win instillation so that bootcamp does its dirty work on the drive.

I have a question. Is there a BOOTCAMP.ini file or BOOTCAMP.conf file... I think that BOOTCAMP application locates the physical BOOTCAMP drive by drive sector. Anyone?

macBULLETPROOF