Moving Bootcamp partition to new drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jtcedinburgh, Dec 24, 2010.

1. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

Hi folks.

I recently swapped the 500Gb WD drive out of my Macbook Pro for a 500Gb Seagate Momentus XT drive. OSX transferred across without any trouble, but despite using WinClone to backup the Bootcamp partition (running Windows 7 64-bit) I haven't been able to restore it successfully.

What happens is that it appears to restore, and I get the dual boot screen when I hold down the Alt key, but on selecting Windows I end up getting a screen saying that some component or other is missing.

Any ideas? I might choose simply to use Windows 7 under Parallels on this machine if I am faced with a full restore, since that way I can more easily backup the Windows side, and since it's running (MUCH) better since swapping drives. However, IDEALLY I'd prefer to restore my existing partition...

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sometimes after Winclone. you need to let W7 tweak its startup a bit. From the install disc, you can run the startup repair wizard which can usually fix many of these kinds of issues.

B

3. jtcedinburgh thread starter macrumors regular