Moving bulk sent addresses from mail to address book

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mlyall, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mlyall macrumors newbie

Help!! I have sent out over 7000 emails thinking I would add them to my address book after the fact. Now I am told by apple techs at my local store that I have to go back one at a time to add them to the address book and there is absolutely no way around this. That automator will only go back to the same one email. This will take days to enter each one manually. Is there any genius out there that know if there is any other way, I am really up a creek without a paddle.

Mark:eek:

2. mlyall thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Numlock,

I looked at this and downloaded it. I did not understand how this works, any instructions would be helpful. In reading it appeared that the script might just handle one address at a time. Do you know about this?

Thank you for your time any help is greatly appreciated

Mark

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

So...

So you typed and sent 7000 emails out to different people? Spammer?

4. mlyall thread starter macrumors newbie

No, Not a spammer, a psychologist that is contacting other psychologist around the world to exchange research.

5. numlock macrumors 68000

No it does multiple emails at once.

You select the emails you want to and launch the script. Up Pops a dialog with all the email addresses inside those emails ie (to, from, cc, bcc, reply-to etc) and you check the boxes for those you want. It only lists each address once so being that your address is the constant you dont have to skip your address hundreds of times.

It offers you the option of adding the addresses to a specific group.

6. mlyall thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Again Numlock,

I really appreciate your time. I tried this for over an hour yesterday and could not get it to work. Could you tell me what I am doing wrong. I open my sent mail folder, I selcet the mails I want to capture the address, I go to the script Icon on the top tool bar, I go to Mail Scripts, Now here is were the problem starts, if I select import addresses it just offers importing mail from other programs (outlook etc,.). I have clicked every other script and no dialogue box has appeared. Please my friend, what am I doing wrong. Thank you again for your assistance.

Sincerely
    Mark

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hey mlyall-

Once you have the script installed and registered in the system-wide script menu (which the installer does for you), select the emails as normal, then select the Add Addresses script, which will be inside Mail Scripts. Import Addresses isn't the right script.

8. mlyall thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this would be the problem. There is no add addresses script.:confused:

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Either you don't have the system-wide script menu turned on (which seems unlikely), the scripts weren't installed properly, or the Add Addresses script isn't there for some reason.

To check this, open your Applications folder, then the Mail Scripts folder. If there's a script in there called Add Addresses, then your problem is that it wasn't registered properly with the system-wide script menu. If it is NOT there, you need to re-download the scripts. In either case, running the installer again should clear this issue up.

10. mlyall thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear Mr. Number Lock,

I am running tiger, so I installed the earlier version. It worked like a charm:D

Thank you so much. Words can not express how thankful I am for saving me another three or four days work, I had already spent two days moving addresses over manually and had only move 2000.

Thanks again
    Mark