Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
So I have an existing iPad Air 2 that has a contracted cell service on ATT. I purchased a IPP from Apple with the Aplle SIM card installed. Can I simply move my Att SIM from my iPad Air 2 to themIPP? I don't want to alert AtT that I have swapped devices by calling them. Any help would be great.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
On a similar subject, I'll be selling a T-Mobile iPad Air soon, it has the free monthly 200MB and is not under any contract. When I sell it, would I just take the SIM out? Do I need to contact T-Mo to disable the account? Could I pop that SIM into an LTE iPad and still use the free 200MB?

Reactions: MagicHAM

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
So I have an existing iPad Air 2 that has a contracted cell service on ATT. I purchased a IPP from Apple with the Aplle SIM card installed. Can I simply move my Att SIM from my iPad Air 2 to themIPP? I don't want to alert AtT that I have swapped devices by calling them. Any help would be great.

I did the exact same thing, but whit Verizon. I was going to just add a new line to my account, but Verizon wanted a $40 activation fee for the new line. So I just took out a sim that was already activated in an iPad mini and all was good. Didn't even have to reboot the iPad.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
do you have ATT prepaid or post paid plans?
im not sure about post paid, but i doubt there will be any difference.

about pre-paid, they really don't care in what device you are using, whether it's an iPad or even mobile hotspot.
and i've transferred the ATT pre-paid unlimited data plan to apple sim, just go to cellular setting and log in with your email and stuff, and everything will be transferred over. takes about three minutes.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
On a similar subject, I'll be selling a T-Mobile iPad Air soon, it has the free monthly 200MB and is not under any contract. When I sell it, would I just take the SIM out? Do I need to contact T-Mo to disable the account? Could I pop that SIM into an LTE iPad and still use the free 200MB?

Yeah that should work, i did it all with my iPads. :p

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks everyone I appreciate the assistance.
So did it work? Does your AT&T account reflect any differences?

I'm considering doing that as my Air 2 is going to the wife, but she doesn't necessarily need cellular. And I don't want to add and pay for yet another device on my AT&T account if I won't be using it.

I also wonder about down the road if I change my mind, if I could put the sim back in the Air 2, and still activate the original Apple SIM in the Pro.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
So did it work? Does your AT&T account reflect any differences?

I'm considering doing that as my Air 2 is going to the wife, but she doesn't necessarily need cellular. And I don't want to add and pay for yet another device on my AT&T account if I won't be using it.

I also wonder about down the road if I change my mind, if I could put the sim back in the Air 2, and still activate the original Apple SIM in the Pro.

You can move your wife's SIM into your Pro, and move it back later if you want. You will need a SIM in her Air so she doesn't keep getting the "No SIM" warning. I took my wife's SIM out of her ipad 4 and cut it down to put it in the Air I gave her, and took the Air SIM I had and put it into the Pro. Then the Pro's Apple universal SIM is sitting and waiting for some future date. I believe once you use the Apple SIM (attach it to a carrier) you are stuck and can not move it to another carrier (I could be wrong).

Reactions: TurboPGT!

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I got a new nano-SIM from an AT&T store and now it doesn't give me an option to log in on the iPad in cellular settings. Do I need to enter a SIM PIN?

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
You can move your wife's SIM into your Pro, and move it back later if you want. You will need a SIM in her Air so she doesn't keep getting the "No SIM" warning. I took my wife's SIM out of her ipad 4 and cut it down to put it in the Air I gave her, and took the Air SIM I had and put it into the Pro. Then the Pro's Apple universal SIM is sitting and waiting for some future date. I believe once you use the Apple SIM (attach it to a carrier) you are stuck and can not move it to another carrier (I could be wrong).

Thank you and yes Apple SIM does get locked to a carrier once you activate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.