Moving clips from MacBook to iMac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rossminster, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Rossminster macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook and and iMac, both running Snow Leopard.

I have a load of holiday movie clips imported into iPhoto in my laptop.

I want to bring them over to my iMac. Is there an easy way of doing this?

The two computers "share" ok. That's how I moved my holiday stills. I highlighted the "events" that contained all my stills and clips iPhoto, copied them into a folder on the MacBook desktop, then moved that folder onto my iMac's desktop, and from there clicked and dropped into iPhoto.

(That seems complicated enough!)

Unfortunately, for some reason, the movie clips (stored in the same events on the MacBook) did not come along for the ride.

Anyone care to illuminate me? Thanks!

2. vizfxman macrumors regular

Are you getting any sort of error?

I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue - I was having trouble moving files around on my Mac using Finder and found that using Pathfinder solved the issue.

I remember reading about a file size limitation when using Finder. This is the only help I can provide...

3. Rossminster thread starter macrumors newbie

No there's no error. And I don't think size is the problem: it's only a few gigs' worth.

I mean, there IS a way of doing it: move all of the clips manually into a folder on the MacBook, then share the folder over to the iMac, but it's a bit cumbersome.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

The way I quickly find all my movies in iPhoto is create a smart album with the criteria: Keyword contains "Movie"

Then open the album and highlight the movies you, click export, and
    export them to the shared folder on the iMac

Hope this helps!

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

could you slave the macbook and transfer over using a Firewire cable?
    maybe iphoto could read the macbook as an external hard drive.

6. Rossminster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all but there's a problem. I can't even move my clips out of iPhoto. Nor open them in iPhoto...new thread required I think.

Thank you.

7. spice weasel macrumors 65816

If you can't even open your clips in iPhoto, then something is definitely wrong. Normally, you should be able to see them in the browser and just double-click them to launch. They'll open in Quicktime and you'll be able to play them. To export them, you can drag and drop them from the iPhoto browser to your desktop. But if that isn't working, then your iPhoto library may be corrupted. Try rebuilding the library: quit iPhoto, hold down option and command and relaunch iPhoto. A dialog box will open asking you what you want to rebuild. Check off all the options and then click "Rebuild."

See if that works.

8. Rossminster thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, Spice Weasel. You are a genius! Thank you very much, and have a sticky bun.

Of several solutions suggested, yours was the one that worked.

Cheers, mate!