Moving Contacts from GMail to MobileMe & iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, my wife just switched from VZ and was on an Android based phone, but she no longer needs her GMail Contacts but we want to move them and her Calendar to the iPhone and start Syncing her MobileMe, how can we do this.

Everytime I think it is done and remove her GMail account from her phone her contacts go puff. I am very familiar with the iPhone and MacBook, however not so much with the Android and GMail settings.

2. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I would try syncing Gmail contacts with the Macbook. Then sync the contacts from macbook to mobileme.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think you can just export your contacts as vcards from Gmail, and then import then into your address book--then sync the iPhone. At least the reverse is true.

4. drunken0monkey macrumors member

Sounds like you're trying to move contacts from Gmail to MobileMe. What you need to do in this situation is export them from Gmail (they support several export formats for contacts but I don't know about the calendar). After that you'd have to use whatever import features MobileMe provides to import them into your MobileMe account. After that you can remove the Gmail account from the iPhone (which will remove all contacts and calendar since they're synced to Gmail) and then add the MobileMe account (which now has all your contacts and perhaps calendar) and sync with that on the iPhone.

What you're trying to do has nothing to do with iPhone or Android if I understand your situation correctly.

5. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Or you can try to send all contacts to the sim card after you have synced with gmail.

6. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd go with techiegirl's solution.

Sync your Mac's Address Book with Google Contacts. Then un-hook the sync, but the contacts will stay in the computer. Then set up Mobile Me on the Macbook and tell it to sync the Address Book with Mobile Me's server.

Finally, set up Mobile Me on the iPhone and tell it to sync with the MM server.

8. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Basically I am looked at what my options are and now I can backup the contacts from GMail then move them to Vcards. I will then remove the GMail account from the phone, import them onto the MacBook, and it is setup with MobileMe, so they will sync to the phone.

What a pain to go thru all of this but shortly all of my family will be on MobileMe and off GMail :D

Recently moved my Wife and two sons off of Verizon and onto AT&T with me and we all have iPhones and MobileMe, so life is much easier for me as the Techy person in the family. Now all I have to do is replace one more Windows PC with a Mac and we are all one big Apple Family :rolleyes: