Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IronLung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I also posted this over on the MBP forum but I figured I'd give it a shot here as well...

So I've had an iPhone since they launched and I synched it to my desktop(windows based) and retrieved all the contacts from outlook.

A few months ago I purchased a MBP and I'm looking to use my shiny new laptop as the computer my iPhone synchs too. I don't really care about having to do my music and whatnot over but if I have to manually enter my contacts into my MBP that will really be a pain.

Is there an application out there that can transfer my contacts(originally in outlook) from my iPhone to my MBP. I have iWork so I don't have any of the office for mac software.

Thanks,
Josh

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
You could always get Outlook for OS X.

But I'm pretty sure Outlook is able to "export" your contact list. Whether or not Apple Mail can read it is another story.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I also posted this over on the MBP forum but I figured I'd give it a shot here as well...

So I've had an iPhone since they launched and I synched it to my desktop(windows based) and retrieved all the contacts from outlook.

A few months ago I purchased a MBP and I'm looking to use my shiny new laptop as the computer my iPhone synchs too. I don't really care about having to do my music and whatnot over but if I have to manually enter my contacts into my MBP that will really be a pain.

Is there an application out there that can transfer my contacts(originally in outlook) from my iPhone to my MBP. I have iWork so I don't have any of the office for mac software.

Thanks,
Josh
Well, I'm guessing that when you connect the iPhone to your MBP, and you use iTunes to setup the syncing, there should be a Address Book area that you can setup to sync the contacts off the iPhone to the MBP. The Address Book is like Contacts for Outlook. The Address Book gets used by all the programs on your Mac for phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses. Just be careful that you don't wipe out your iPhone entries when you set this up, because the MBP might notice it was synced with another computer and it might want to wipe the iPhone.

IronLung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Well I just decided to go ahead and do it, it was actually really simple, it gave you the option to either replace or "merge" your data. Merge is what I went with and it worked fine. Thanks for the help!

Josh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.