Moving contacts to iPhone 4 from non-iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LFSimon, Jun 14, 2010.

1. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

I just read the iPhone 4 has a smaller "micro" sim. If this is the case then it sounds like I would not be able to transfer my contacts myself from my old phone and would have to have this done at the Apple store or AT&T.

Does this sound right - because if it is correct it means that I shouldn't bother with a home delivery pre-order since I really don't want it activated until/unless I can transfer my contacts.

2. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Is there a way to get your contacts into outlook or for mac address book? If you can do that then you can sync your new phone with outlook or address book.

3. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Just update your contact list on your computer and sync through itunes...easy

Or use gmail/mobileme

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This won’t be so easy for certain phones that don’t have any sync capabilities or require you to buy software to sync.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

If you don't need your old sim (and contacts are on it) you could cut it down (Google), put it in your new phone, and import the contacts. Highly doubt that Apple or AT&T would do this for you anyway. This is something to be done by the owner through itunes syncing.

Of course if your contacts are on your computer it's easy. :)

6. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I didn't expand on that thought. I didn't mean update your contact list via your old phone. I meant just manually updating the list before receiving the iPhone. There's plenty of time to do it between now and then. For phones that have no sync capability...sorry. I know Verizon has a service where you can back up your contacts online, so maybe you can export that as a CSV file.

7. jman240 macrumors 6502a

ATT should have the proper readers / equipment to do this for you or at least help you. Even for sim to micro sim transfers provided your contacts are currently on your sim.

How many contacts are we talking about here? It's fairly easy to input them manually and can be kind of fun to fill out the additional info like birthdays (now show up in calendar) and pics / email addresses that you probably don't have in their current state.

Either way, ATT should be able to help you even if you wait a few days after the launch.