Moving data from 2007 MBP' to 2015 MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jabar18, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Jabar18 macrumors member

Hi folks, can I use time machine to transfer my data from my 2007 MBP (running Yosemite) to my new 2015 MBP? I've been backing up my 2007 MBP with a 1TB WD through time machine. How would I then get the data to my new MBP?

Also, Silly question, but if it copies EVERYTHING, will it also copy corrupted data/junk from the old machine? I don't want to bog down my nice new machine with some corrupted/old/junk data files from my old machine.

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

When you first start setting up your new Mac, it'll ask you if you want to transfer your data through Migration Assistant from your TM backup. That way you can get all your important data over and none of the system files from your old MBP will get copied over.

3. Jabar18 thread starter macrumors member

I thought Migration Assistant and Time Machine were two separate things?

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Yes, but it can load your data from a Time Machine backup in addition to another computer or external drive.

5. Jabar18 thread starter macrumors member

Excellent. It won't take any corrupted settings or data from the old machine? I did read that the old computer needs to be running the same OS as the new machine, so I've upgraded my 2007 MBP to Yosemite in preparation for the transition.

6. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

That actually doesn't matter with Migration Assistant since it can migrate data from an external drive with just files on it or even from a PC.

7. Jabar18 thread starter macrumors member

Damn. So I upgraded to Yosemite for no reason...I did it last fall but stopped because it was making my MBP slower. Oh well. No going back now.

Just to check, so a time machine backup with Mavericks on it will work putting files onto a new MBP running Yosemite?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, Migration Assistant will work with an older OS X version on the source.