Moving data from old to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goonanm, Jun 25, 2009.

1. goonanm macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro, which should be arriving in the mail shortly. I currently have a Macbook running Tiger which I bought in June 2006. I was wondering how it would be possible for me to easily move all of my data (iTunes library, applications, etc.) and settings to my new Macbook Pro? I have a 500 GB external drive that I can use.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm fairly sure that Migration Assistant would work, if not, just move all your files to the external, then transfer them to their respective folders.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Get a FireWire 400 to 800 cable, and when you configure the new Mac, there will be an option to "Transfer data from another Mac." Just follow the instructions for connecting the computers and your data will be migrated to the new machine.

4. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

I used Migration Assistant to migrate all my stuff about five months ago. Worked perfectly, except a few serial numbers for purchased thir-party applications didn't come over. But other than that, would recommend it highly.

5. TIFFADEE macrumors member

Where do you get a 800 to 400 firewire cable???

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Amazon.com or Newegg.com

7. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Do they do this for free?

9. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Yes...if....

you have a brand new mac that is still under the apple warranty....then ABSOLUTELY!!!

I sounds like you have a brand new new macbook pro so make an appointment when it arrives and get it done....Keep me posted.

10. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Whats the difference between using Migration assistant or just restore feature of tm?

11. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi,

I did a complete reinstall from the discs - I guess that would take care of getting rid of any data? It said that all data would be lost if I went ahead which I did. The thing is, the Macintosh Hard Drive Icon said something like 111.42 GB and below it 92.4GB available? I thought the two numbers should match at 111.42GB?

Bazzy!