moving data from power pc quad to new mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by frankbuddas, Sep 3, 2010.

1. frankbuddas macrumors newbie

Hi Mac Gurus,
    I have a quick question. I have a ton and I mean ton of data that nees to be moved from my power pc to my new machine coming any day. What is the easiest/fastest way to do so. Someone was telling me I can ethernet between the two? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,;);)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Either Ethernet between them or FireWire. Speed wise they are quite same

3. DualShock macrumors 6502

If it's a Power Mac G5 you could just pull the drive and put it in your Mac Pro, since they both use SATA.

4. frankbuddas thread starter macrumors newbie

That might work! is a powermac pro powerpc last gen before they switched to intel. But Im looking to sell it when im done so i think firewire would work the best.

Thanks,
    Frank

5. DualShock macrumors 6502

If you open it up and see a big "G5" on the heat sink then you're good to go. :D

So put the drive in your Mac Pro, copy or move your data to the other drive, then put it back in the G5 before selling it. Copying data with internal drives is way faster than Firewire, Ethernet, USB, etc. Unless it's not a lot of data and/or you don't mind the wait.

6. fjmcsu macrumors newbie

I have used the crossover cable method assigning addresses to each computer and works well. I do this on a constant basis between my Win 7 & Mac!