Moving Dropbox to NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GimmeSlack12, Aug 24, 2013.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Experiment time!

I have accumulated by many means, some spam-worthy, 22.5GB of free Dropbox space. And recently I have run into an absolute first world problem that I can't use too much of my DB space because my internal SSD is too small (128GB). Woah is me.

So I'm in the process of moving my Dropbox to my NAS and I will see how I like this. I'll report back on any short comings of this arrangement.

Anyone else given this a shot, perhaps with an external drive instead of network storage?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Why not upgrade your internal hard drive instead?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Synology has a Dropbox like feature called Cloud Station.

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Sure in the future that's fine. But buying a 256gb SSD and installing in my iMac is a wee bit more difficult, and expensive approach than just moving dbox to my NAS.

5. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok this isn't going to work. Running my development directories off of the NAS (something I overlooked) is taking forever to get anything done. This wasn't a well planned idea.

6. kolax macrumors G3

I take it you had a Fusion drive you unpaired?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take the files you don't often use in Dropbox and move them to the NAS or use the NAS' cloud feature. Both Synology and Qnap offer dropbox like functionality.

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh I wish. No, I'm running on a late-2007 iMac with a 128gb Samsung 930 that I installed myself. Putting a larger SSD actually is pretty easy on this iMac, it's more the cost of a larger drive that is the deterrent. I figure if it ever came to that decision that I'd just upgrade to a new system.