Moving emails from Windows 7 in bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tombs, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

Hi all, is there a way to migrate my emails and contacts from office outlook 2010 to Windows 7 in bootcamp to Mountain lion on the same MBP but with out having to go into Windows 7 via bootcamp (I cant as Win 7 wont boot)? thanks

2. stchman macrumors 6502a

I don't claim to know all the inner working of bootcamp, but can you access the NTFS drives on the Windows 7 install?

3. Tombs thread starter macrumors regular

Tombs

Hi stchman, yes in OSX I can see the bootcamp partition and all the folders but I cant work out where or see the file for my emails.

4. joec1101 macrumors 6502

If you can see the Bootcamp partition from OSX finder, look for the outlook.pst file. Outlook stores all the contacts and emails in that one file. You will need to download some third party app in OSX to read/extract/convert and import the contacts and emails into OSX's mail.app

5. Tombs thread starter macrumors regular

Tombs

Thank you Joec1101, found the folders in finder/bootcamp/User/Name/Documents/outlook/files. Any ideas as to what program can convert/import into OSX's mail app? Is there a program that can actually import the settings bearing in mind I am unable to launch Win 7 either via bootcamp or Parallels. Thanks

6. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I don't know if there is any OSX app or utility that will actually read the pst file from the Mac side. Almost everything I've seen requires running an app on the Windows side to export everything to a different format and then using that format to import into Apple mail.

Do you have access to another Windows machine with Outlook on it? If so, you can copy that pst file to that Win machine and run the export app on there. Then copy the exported files back to your Mac and import into Apple mail.

Here's a link to a tutorial I found:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Moving_Email_from_PC_Outlook_to_Apple_Mail

Maybe this will point you in the right direction. This article mentions an app called O2M which is cheap but not free. I have heard excellent things about this app, but I haven't used it personally.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Outlook 2011 for mac can import PST files. So can gmail.

8. stchman macrumors 6502a

Moral of the story, use Thunderbird as your email client. Your email, contacts, dates, etc. will all be able to be used in all 3 platforms by simply copyiing the profile.

9. Tombs thread starter macrumors regular

Tombs

Thanks guys for the responses. I do have a spare laptop with MS Office on it but I think I'm going to go the cloud base route for emails from now on and use outlook.com as I can run several email address's from it.

10. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Before you use outlook.com, check to see if they have IMAP capabilities (the last time I checked they only offered POP access). If not, I would suggest GMAIL. You want to use IMAP so you can keep your email synchronized across multiple devices.