Moving emails into folders/labels on Android?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by stanw, Jul 22, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

After the last Gmail update, when I move an email to a folder on my Note2 it still shows up in my Primary inbox when I logon to Gmail on my computer. It just seems to label the email and not move it. It use to work, though it does not anymore.

Anyone know how you move emails into folders/labels from an Android now?

Thanks.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You have to archive it too.

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you do that? I use the Move to folder icon to move the email to a selected label.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's the folder with the arrow pointing down. The one before the trashcan icon.

You can also just swipe it.

5. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gmail in a web browser on my Mac has a folder with an arrow pointing down, that is the one that seems to move emails to the labels.

My Note2 has a folder, though it does not have an arrow pointing down that I can see. Just a folder. I have the version with the new priority, social, etc. inboxes.

When I swipe the email it prompts me to delete not move or archive.

Thanks.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

OH riiiight. You have to go into settings. It's the first two things on that list. I remember people making such a big deal about it (I did too :eek:).

7. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I changed the setting so now I get the first icon with the downward pointing arrow, though this just archives it when I click on it, and now the icon to move an email to a specific label is gone.

1. After archiving an email, I'm guessing it just goes to a generic archive label, I do not see one though.

2. Is there a way to just move it to a specific label?

Thanks for your help

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It does. You want to select "Move to" under the overflow button (. . .).

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I personally don't want to archive anything, prefer to either relabel it or delete it outright. With my settings, to move it out of the inbox I used the change labels option--uncheck the inbox and check whatever labels I want (usually one but sometimes multiples). Result is reclassification to appropriate label (folder) and out of my inbox.

10. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see, I was trying to do this from the actual selected email, you need to do it from the inbox displaying all of your messages.

Thanks!