Moving External HDD to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anirban, Jun 24, 2009.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I just purchased an Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS). I have most of my music stored on an external drive that I access via USB.

I was thinking of moving the drive to plug it into the AEBS, and have iTunes access my music from there.

I understand this will upset iTunes, since it wont recognize the HDD (since it used to be connected via USB). Is there a simple way to tell iTunes that the path of most of the music has moved to the network drive?

Thanks a lot!

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-anirban

Once moved, re-point iTunes to the new location through Preferences:Advanced:"Change" button.

Your use of the word "Most" has me a bit concerned as I understand there can be only on Music folder accessible at one time. Can you elaborate?

3. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Thanks Patrick. I used "Most" because there are some music tracks that are located in the internal HDD of my Macintosh. Rest of them are on the external. In other words, about 30% of music is in the internal drive, and 70% on external, which is being moved. Yeah, I know its very disorganized, but oh well!

So I pretty much want to let iTunes know that the drive path of those 70% of the music has moved, while the rest 30% remains unchanged.

Thanks again!

4. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

HOLY HELL! I plugged my external drive on the USB port of the Airport Extreme, and iTunes was still able to play the songs without requiring any changes to the file path!

I suppose as long as the name of your external drive remains the same, OSX/iTunes will recognize it properly.

Boy this is convenient!