Moving files among windows machine and MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PNGento, Jul 7, 2011.

1. PNGento macrumors member

I have a MBP...first Apple I've ever owned...and WOW...why has it taken me so long to move to the "dark side" LOL. Now, I'm thinking I'll have to migrate my desktop to a Mac as well. Very happy with the switch I made...and I know there is a lot more to learn about all things Apple, but for now......

I need to know how to move docs between my MBP and my desktop. I have portable HDs...one is formatted in Mac OS extended (journaled) and the other is NTFS. I can see both of them when plugged into my MBP, but can't just drag and drop. Is there a solution?

TIA.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

Yes, you can;
    Format a disk as FAT (very large file size restriction apply, 2Gb IIRC),
    Install a disk driver that will let the Mac write to as well as read from NTFS
    Install a disk driver that will let the PC write to as well as read from HFS+

3. PNGento thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping to be able to use the disks as they are formatted...is this not possible. First, the file size restrictions going with the reformatting as you suggested is a problem. Second, there are files on the windows drive that I can't overwrite with a reformatting.

An alternative would be to be able to use the hard drive that is formatted in mac os, on the windows computer, but on the windows computer the mac os hard drive doesn't even show up. So, is it not possible to use these drives in some way, either on the MBP, or on the windows computer?