Moving files and mirroring to HDTV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by michial, Sep 17, 2011.

1. michial macrumors 6502

michial

Just got a 2011 21.5 iMac. Used to the windows way of moving a file. How do I move a file say from downloads to movies or wherever without copying it, using trackpad and mouse?

Also I bought the mini display to hdmi adapter from apple store a few days ago. I plugged in the adapter then the hdmi then plugged it into my panasonic plasma hdtv which it recognized but it did not mirror or display on the tv. How do I do that? With my hp laptop I just plug hdmi into it and the tv and it works right away.
    Thanks

2. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

AFAIK, moving a file on the same disc (meaning it stays on the same drive) is as easy as a simple drag and drop. This won't copy the file, but instead move it to a different destination. This works on 10.6, but I'm not sure about 10.7. Things get more tricky when you want to move a file from one drive to another, as dragging and dropping the file initiates a copy and paste operation.

To set up a mirror display, open System Preferences. From there, open Displays. There should be a little box with "Mirror Display" (or something to that effect) without a checkmark. Check the box, and the displays should mirror.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new iMac.

3. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

Thanks. I did that for mirroring but it wont show up on my hdtv. Am i supposed to move files somewhere in the display settings? All my cables work and the imac sees my tv but nothing from the imac shows up on the tv. It worked on my hp laptop but i dont know whats up with this new stuff. Please help. Thanks