Moving files/applications/etc.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by keithp57, Dec 17, 2012.

1. keithp57 macrumors newbie

I got a new iMac. My old one is very slow. Should I not copy the old drive to the new one in case something is "bad" on the old one. I have used the Mac Disk Utilities and found nothing wrong.

2. KojiH macrumors 6502

This is a hotly debated question. If you have a list of all of your old software passwords and the ability to reinstall everything then start from scratch.

In my case I don't have my passwords readily available as they are scattered in boxes in the attic. So I'm going to use migration assistant

3. skyenet macrumors regular

skyenet

I just got my iMac this evening and used Migration Assistant to move everything over from my 2009 iMac. Took a wee while over Ethernet but got there in the end. Didn't copy my PIctures, Music or Movies folders as I am going to tidy them up and Archive stuff, a bit more before I move them. So far the only thing I had a problem with was Google Drive. DropBox synched once I put in my details again. I use a Synology NAS Diskstation and that seems to have connected and synched fine. All my mail worked great and all my existing messages showing up fine.

Just copying a full install of X-Plane 10.2 (64bit) from an external drive. Can't wait to try it out :)

Ran Geekbench 2 32bit on my iMac when I got it and the results were 13061 which seems good. Not installed my Crucial 32GB or Ram yet.