Moving files between linux desktop and iBook

roberts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
28
0
Scotland
Hi. Can someone help me figure out how to transfer files from my desktop computer (Generic PC running Ubuntu 5) to my laptop (iBook G4 Panther). I tried hooking them up with an ethernet cable hoping one would auto-detect the other but nothing happened. Any suggestions? I'm fairly competent with computers but not with networking ;)
 

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
888
0
nj
roberts said:
Hi. Can someone help me figure out how to transfer files from my desktop computer (Generic PC running Ubuntu 5) to my laptop (iBook G4 Panther). I tried hooking them up with an ethernet cable hoping one would auto-detect the other but nothing happened. Any suggestions? I'm fairly competent with computers but not with networking ;)
It's not as easy as just plugging in an ethernet cable.. first of all, you'd need a crossed network cable, unless you are using a router. Second, you'd have to assign a network address to both computers (e.g. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2), unless you have a DHCP server running on your Ubuntu installation. Finally, you'd have to use either SAMBA or ftp to transfer the files, which means that you'll have to configure samba or run an ftp server on one of your computers.

If you only need to do this once, it's probably easier for you to burn a CD or use an USB stick.
 

roberts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
28
0
Scotland
weg said:
It's not as easy as just plugging in an ethernet cable.. first of all, you'd need a crossed network cable, unless you are using a router. Second, you'd have to assign a network address to both computers (e.g. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2), unless you have a DHCP server running on your Ubuntu installation. Finally, you'd have to use either SAMBA or ftp to transfer the files, which means that you'll have to configure samba or run an ftp server on one of your computers.

If you only need to do this once, it's probably easier for you to burn a CD or use an USB stick.

Well I've got about 10 gigabytes of stuff that I want transferred so a CD-R or USB flash wouldn't be very practical. I'll have a look at Samba then. Thanks for the tips :)
 

roberts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
28
0
Scotland
I've managed to get an FTP server set up on my Linux desktop but I have absolutely no idea how to get my mac to access it. How do I know what IP the FTP server has given itself? I tried 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.5 with no luck.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
roberts said:
I've managed to get an FTP server set up on my Linux desktop but I have absolutely no idea how to get my mac to access it. How do I know what IP the FTP server has given itself? I tried 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.5 with no luck.
The command ifconfig will give you the ip address of the computer you are on.
 

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
16,476
4,634
roberts said:
I've managed to get an FTP server set up on my Linux desktop but I have absolutely no idea how to get my mac to access it. How do I know what IP the FTP server has given itself? I tried 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.5 with no luck.
ifconfig -a

netstat -ni
 

roberts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
28
0
Scotland
Ifconfig tells me that my PCs IP is 192.168.1.4. When I try to ping this, or start an FTP session to it, it just times out after a few minutes
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
roberts said:
There might be a software firewall on the Ubuntu machine but not a hardware one, no.
Well, your going to have to turn that off.

Why didn't you turn on the ftp server on the Mac? It's so easy and should even turn off the Mac's firewall.
 

roberts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
28
0
Scotland
grapes911 said:
Well, your going to have to turn that off.

Why didn't you turn on the ftp server on the Mac? It's so easy and should even turn off the Mac's firewall.
:eek: I didn't even know my mac had an FTP server. I'm brand new this macintosh business, you see. If I'd known that I wouldn't have gone fiddling around with linux. I'll go investigate this.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
roberts said:
:eek: I didn't even know my mac had an FTP server. I'm brand new this macintosh business, you see. If I'd known that I wouldn't have gone fiddling around with linux. I'll go investigate this.
System Preferences -->
Sharing -->
Services (its a tab) -->
check the box next to 'FTP Access'

Firewall (another tab) -->
check box next to 'FTP Access'

FTP into your box with any username and password of any user.
 

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
888
0
nj
roberts said:
Ifconfig tells me that my PCs IP is 192.168.1.4. When I try to ping this, or start an FTP session to it, it just times out after a few minutes
Your iBook has to have an address in the same subnet, e.g., if the address of your Linux box is 192.168.1.4/24 then your iBook should have something starting with 192.168.1, too (24 denotes a network mask of 255.255.255.). Try pinging your iBook from your Linux box, too.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
weg said:
Your iBook has to have an address in the same subnet, e.g., if the address of your Linux box is 192.168.1.4/24 then your iBook should have something starting with 192.168.1, too (24 denotes a network mask of 255.255.255.). Try pinging your iBook from your Linux box, too.
FTP is a internet standard, not a LAN technology. Why do you say they need the same subnet? I know there is not router involved, but will that really make a difference?
 

roberts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
28
0
Scotland
I don't seem to be getting anywhere with FTP. When I try to ftp into my iBook from my desktop, I get a "No route to host" error. There must be an easier way to transfer files, surely...?