Moving files/folders from Mac to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fireshot91, Jun 26, 2012.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I bought a new laptop, a Windows 7 based one, for school.

I had a bunch of files/folders/directories that I need on my Macbook Pro. They aren't application files or anything OS specific, just pictures, documents, etc.

So, I put them all in one folder, copied that folder onto an external drive, and then copied that folder onto my new laptop.

However, it didn't transfer anything. It just kept on saying that the file location wasn't found (Or something along those lines) on the external drive.
    The files are mostly just pictures, .jpg, .png, .NEF, etc. There are a couple video files (.mov, .mp4).

Also, there are a bunch of .DS_Store files on there that I can see on my new laptop, which I don't particularly have a need for. A quick Google shows that they are used to store preferences in Finder, but since I won't be using Finder anymore.....Basically, is there an easy way to delete them?

2. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

how is the hard drive formatted.

Can you not just connect the two laptops with an ethernet cable?

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's a NTFS drive. And I have NTFS3G and whatever other program is necessary installed.

Not with an ethernet cable, but rather with a crossover cable, yes. Alas, I don't have a crossover cable.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You don't need a crossover cable. Macs have auto-sensing ports, which will switch the connection as needed based on the detected configuration of what it's connecting to. Doesn't matter if the PC has an auto-sensing Ethernet port as well, the Mac will transmit data as if a crossover cable was connected.

jW

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

An alternative method is to use Dropbox to transfer the files.
    Yes, just select them on the Windows PC and delete them.

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Will try that in a bit, and see if it works.

Yeah, I thought about that....but everything adds up to ~25gb. Seeing as how I'm already using 4gbs of my ~6gb limit, I don't think that's feasible.

I am putting it on a network drive and transferring that way, seeing if that works or not.

There are folders within folders within folders. It's not as easy as selecting them and hitting delete. I would try command prompt, but...it's been 5 years since I've used it to do anything useful, and am too scared to try the remove commands.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just do a search for them, and select and delete them from the search results.