Moving files / folders up directories

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pjrobertson, Sep 25, 2009.

1. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

This problem has bugged me for ages, and I've never come up with a sensible solution.

Let's say:
    You have a file in your docs folder - /~/Documents and you want to move it to your music folder - /~/Music

There's the path along the bottom of the finder showing
    Macintosh HD -> Users -> my_name -> Documents

But these icons aren't spring loaded so I can't hover over 'my_name' then wait for the view to change and then drop into music.

I know I can add these to the sidebar, but this is just an example and I'm always wanting to move things between lots of different folders in this way.

My only current solutions are: Drop the file in the next directory up, go to that directory then drop it into the final directory

OR use the icons in the sidebar (which are spring loaded) and just start a bit higher up.

If you don't know the answer, can you please at least tell me if this is fixed in Snow Leopard

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Open two finder windows

Seems simple enough or am I missing something?

3. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Meh, it still is more effort than just drag and drop :(

I just don't know why the path bar isn't spring loaded.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use column view and then spring loaded folders. seriously its THE power user view.

5. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe I will have to start using column view.

I need to install snow leopard so I can check out what the new cocoa finder is like.

Still, I've emailed feedback to Apple as the path bar should be spring loaded as well.

Anybody else annoyed by this?

Send Apple feedback!
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

No. The Finder generally sucks by design. Allowing one to cut/paste files in order to move the damn things would take care of 99.9% of my complaints.