moving files from external backup to new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iGaryMonnecka, Jan 28, 2009.

1. iGaryMonnecka macrumors member

I, soon, am going to be backing up my old hard drive to an external using CCC. After this is done, I NEED to move everything back onto the new drive when it's inside my macbook.

My Questions Are as follows:

1. Do i run the DVD and format the new drive, then put leopard on it first, or is there any way I can just make the data go straight to the new hard drive and be operable right away.

2. I have heard a lot about setting up the disc as HFS+ journaled before setting up Leopard. Do I need to do this before I migrate my data from the external to the new internal?

3. If I have to set up as HFS+ journaled, then set up leopard first, can anyone give me a step by step as to how I can get my data back to the new internal using CCC?

Any help is much appreciated,
    Gary

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Hey Gary -

Once you copy your old HD to the external drive, make sure it's bootable by restarting your MacBook and hold down the option key until and image of your internal and the external appear. Select the external drive and you should boot up normal but a little slower.

Next install your new drive.

Now attach your external again and boot to it as before holding option. Once booted, goto Disk Utility and Format your new internal drive as Mac Extended (Journaled). Next Partition it as 1 (or more if you like) partition from the drop down and hit the Option button and select GUID. Finally give it a Name like Macintosh HD and hit Apply.

Now you can open CCC and copy your external to the new drive.

You should look at This Tutorial for a fill in of any questions on the procedure and post back with any questions. -GDF

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Couldn't have said that any better myself ;).

You can always do a Fresh install on your new drive after you cloned your current drive first. It's usually better to do a fresh install, that way you are not copying back any potential corrupted system files. You then can use the Migration Assistant to bring back all your old files from your "clone" drive. You have that option when doing a fresh OS system install.

4. iGaryMonnecka thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much. you guys just cleared up ALL my doubts about doing this.

-Gary

5. iGaryMonnecka thread starter macrumors member

one more question. If I use Time Machine to back up onto the external, will that allow me to reinstall OSX on my new drive, then use the migration assistant to move everything over?

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You might find This Article useful for a Time Machine method of Hard Drive Upgrade/Time Machine Restore.