Moving files from IBM to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vermonter16, Dec 6, 2008.

1. vermonter16 macrumors regular

So I just got my brand new imac today. I haven't even unboxed it yet. I'm wondering about transferring my files to the Mac and how difficult it will be. I have never done anything like this before... I'm wondering if I should wait and just transfer the files to the external hard drive (that I don't have yet)...will that be harder, easier, about the same? I plan on ordering one or two very soon. Any help would be really, really appreciated.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What you want (in order of preference):

FireWire on both computers.
    Ethernet on both computers.
    A USB flash drive.

Transfer style (in order of difficulty):

Cake, Migration Assistant
    Cake, Migration Assistant
    Difficult, your memory of where your files are

3. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't believe my current pc has firewire but it does have ethernet because that is how I'm hooked to the internet. Can I do this? Hook up my computer to the mac via ethernet and transfer files directly to the external drive via firewire through the mac?

And - I have some word files....can I transfer those without messing them up...or what should I do with them. No, I do not have office for mac.... I really don't use office all that much on my pc...

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Firewire method is for Mac to Mac transfer and won't work for WindowsPC to Mac transfer.

Start here --> http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ and read the Migrate Your Files section. The direct connect using the ethernet cable may be the best option in this case (no "Internet" connection needed - just the two machines make the ad hoc network for file transfer).

5. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

So I've had the ethernet cable connected but I can't find out how to actually connect the two computers. And everytime I need to search the Internet for help I have to unplug the one cable from my old pc and put it back into my modem...what a pain.

I've tried everything I can think of and everything Apple says and now I'm stuck on trying to figure out the address of my computer? I've tried everything but I cannot think of where else to look for it. This is really, really frustrating.

Any advice or hints?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

On your Windows machine, open Command Prompt and type "ipconfig". The address will be listed there (it'll likely start with I think 169).

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

If that gives you problems, you can manually set up the IP address for both OS X and WindowsXP (e.g., 10.10.1.1 and 10.10.1.2 respectively).

BEFORE you do that, make sure you copy down the current settings for both OS X and Windows, so you can set them back to it after you are done with file transfers, to get connected to the ISP and Internet.

http://www.home-network-help.com/set-ip.html for XP help (do the manual step - not automatic). Subnet mask can be 255.255.255.0 for both OSs. Since you'll be using IP addresses in the SMB to point out the computers to each other, DNS server won't matter.

For OS X, System Preferences, Network, then Select manually and set it up.

8. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I'm going to work on it later today. This morning, I'm just going to enjoy it for a little while.