Moving files from iMac to Maxtor harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kaaem88, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Kaaem88 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I'm new to imac and i have some questions about file-systems and storage.

The case is this: I have a 200 GB Maxtor harddrive onto witch i want to copy all the video, zip and other files from my imac. I have allredy copied most of them by using a memory stick and taking it over to a PC and from there over to the Maxtor. But the files i have left on the mac is to large for the memory stick.

The Mac can only read, and not wright the Maxtor. But i just can't understand that i can just copy the files from the Mac to the Maxtor via a PC, but not directly?? isnt there a way to copy the files directly to the Maxtor?

I don't know much about filesystems but on my imac it says someting with RAID and aufofs. I have also understood that i can format the Maxtor to FAT-32, but some of the files are greater than 4 GB, so that wont work right?

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

FAT32 is read/write in OS X, but you're right, it won't work because it has a file size limit of 4GB.

your best option is to Format it NTFS and get some third party software for OS X that can allow it to write to NTFS.

3. Kaaem88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you. That sounds like a good deal.

But who do i tell which file-system the Maxtor currantly have? It works perfectly with my PC (XP pro), and i thought it allready was NTSF?

And which software do you recommend for wrighting NTSF from the imac to the Maxtor?:)

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

In windows you should be able to get "properties" and it will say under file system

A lot of people here suggest something called MacFUSE & NTFS-3G which together allow the OS X to write to NTFS formats for free. Alternative options like NTFS for mac are shareware and cost money.

5. Kaaem88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again!
    I'll check the file-system in Windows then:)

I've just downloaded MacFUSE, but have no idea how to use it:S I fear it's very complacated with commands n stuff?

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm afraid I can't help you with MacFUSE & NTFS3G because I went and paid for an app when I needed it lol

There are people here who have it, so I'm sure someone can guide you on the commands or whatever is required to install and use it