Moving Files from Mac HD to Windows

Gattz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I've been trying to move some files from my Mac HD to Windows partition, but I keep getting the message "The item ___ could not be moved because ___ cannot be modified." Anyone know how to fix this?

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
I've been trying to move some files from my Mac HD to Windows partition, but I keep getting the message "The item ___ could not be moved because ___ cannot be modified." Anyone know how to fix this?
Is the windows partition NTFS?

Comment

Gattz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Not sure, but lets just say it is, what would be the way to fix it? Please don't tell me I need to reinstall Windows. :'(

Comment

Gattz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Is this the only way?

Also, is there a tutorial on using MacFuse?

Comment

Gattz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Thanks it worked, but I think some other problem came up. I'm seeing these random files that weren't there before. For example, I see a file named .DS_Store on my Desktop.

Comment

Gattz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
You mean just to right-click > properties > Check Hidden? But how do I know which files to hide?

Comment

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You mean just to right-click > properties > Check Hidden? But how do I know which files to hide?
I don't know of any way to do so automatically, but any file that starts with a "dot" is normally hidden in Mac OS/unix. This includes .DS_Store, resource forks ._(FILENAME) and .Trashes so you could set them as hidden under Windows and maintain full functionality.

Otherwise, you could use something like BlueHarvest under OS X http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/ to wipe them out as they are created, but you will then lose (some) functionality.

B

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.