Moving Files from Mac HD to Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Gattz, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

I've been trying to move some files from my Mac HD to Windows partition, but I keep getting the message "The item ___ could not be moved because ___ cannot be modified." Anyone know how to fix this?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Is the windows partition NTFS?

3. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure, but lets just say it is, what would be the way to fix it? Please don't tell me I need to reinstall Windows. :'(

4. cmaier macrumors G3

5. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Is this the only way?

Also, is there a tutorial on using MacFuse?

6. cmaier macrumors G3

7. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks it worked, but I think some other problem came up. I'm seeing these random files that weren't there before. For example, I see a file named .DS_Store on my Desktop.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Perfectly normal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store

It's the price you pay for writing to a local drive w/ Mac OS X. If they bother you, just hide them in Windows as they are hidden in OS X.

B

9. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

You mean just to right-click > properties > Check Hidden? But how do I know which files to hide?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I don't know of any way to do so automatically, but any file that starts with a "dot" is normally hidden in Mac OS/unix. This includes .DS_Store, resource forks ._(FILENAME) and .Trashes so you could set them as hidden under Windows and maintain full functionality.

Otherwise, you could use something like BlueHarvest under OS X http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/ to wipe them out as they are created, but you will then lose (some) functionality.

B