Moving files from Mac to PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hawky, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Hawky macrumors newbie

I have my Macbook Pro and i have a lot of large 4gb+ files that i need to get onto my PC, i have a 16gb USB stick and want to just transfer them across a few at a time to my PC (running Win7) But either my PC wont recognise the format, or when it does i cant copy files to my usb stick because of a file size limit of 4gb.

So in short, how can i get files from my mac to my pc, is there a program i can download for my PC to read Mac formated drives or something like that?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Den Deze macrumors newbie

Well, i have the same question :)
    I'm planning to buy a MBP within a few weeks, but since I also work with a desktop (W7), I want to know what's best to keep your files (music, bookmarks, ...) up to date with my PC and MBP:)

3. neteng101 macrumors 65816

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

If all your computers are on the same network, share your files and folders from your MBP to your Windows PC using SMB.

System preferences > Sharing > Options ... and go from here.

On your Windows PC, go to your run box and type in \\your_machinename and you will see your shared areas from your MBP.

Its handy if you got a gig network link for larger file transfers but it doesn't really matter for smaller files.

I normally undo the share when my transfers are complete for security reasons.

Edit: Check the 'File Sharing' box in the Sharing window and then click on 'Options'

5. Hawky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks or the replies guys, will give both options a go and let you know how it goes :)

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

should be \\your_MBP_name

I'll get my posts right one day.