Moving files from PC external HD to new mac external HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skowser, Sep 22, 2010.

1. skowser macrumors newbie

New Macbook pro owner.

I have an external HD connected to my PC which contains all of my music, video, photo, etc files. I recently purchased a new 1TB LaCie d2 quadra drive to use with my macbook.

Both of these drives are currently connected to my mac so i can move the files from one drive to another. I understand that the mac cannot write to the NTFS drive but it can read from it. I thought the best way to move the files over would be through the mac, i.e. using finder to move the files from one volume to the other. Is this the best, easiest way? or is there another way?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is an okay solution and should not create any problems.

3. skowser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

One problem is this folder is showing up on my mac as havng zero bytes when i KNOW it has about 160GB of music files (mp3, FLAC)

Attached Files:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. skowser thread starter macrumors newbie

I navigated to the folder the way you described but got the same result. Also, i tried to just copy and paste that folder from one HD to the other ad when it started copying the transfer was only 23.something GB not the full folder...i'm a little confused. I copied about 400GB's of video files without a problem to and from the same drives using the same steps.