Moving files from PC to Mac via Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by disco2000, Oct 17, 2008.

1. disco2000 macrumors newbie

Hey there

So I just got my Rev-E Macbook Pro today, I'm trying to move files to it from my old PC laptop via ethernet but it just doesn't want to work..

I've enabled all file sharing options that I can think of, set the IP's correct, &tc &tc, but it keeps saying "some data could not be read" and that a connection could not be established.

Any light on this topic? I've searched everywhere but none of the advice seems to work..

the PC is Windows XP HP dv6000 by the way

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

If you have a router, it will probably be easier, as they assign IP addresses.

If you have no internet connection, I believe you hook the ethernet cable from one into the "WAN" port, and the other connects to one of the "LAN" ports.

the WAN is where the modem would normally go.

I tried before to direct connect, computer to computer, and for some reason, it would not work. The network connections on the Pc and mac said there was no cable connected. If you have the same problem, a router would probably be the best bet. Or maybe someone here can help figure out that part.

as far as I know, the Pc or mac don't have an IP address when they're not connected to the internet or a router, so where does this number come from when directly connected?

Anyway, if you're on a network together, go to finder, and in the task bar at the top, click "Go" then select "Connect to server"

Type: smb://<Pc Ip Address> and click connect. A window should pop up asking for a user name and password, Enter the correct information, if any, and then select the shared folder on the Pc. It should mount to finder for easy access.

You can also log in via the smb code by typing

smb://user:password@ip.address