moving files from win7 to mac? little help please :-)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by joshuapending, Aug 21, 2010.

1. joshuapending macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Simple question i think but one that has got me confused at least. What is the simplest method to move files created on my win7 bootcamp to my mac side? without having to go via externals etc?

Cheers, for any help.

2. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I assume your BC partition is formatted NTFS. OS X can read NTFS partitions, so the simplest solution is to boot into OS X, navigate to the desired files in your Windows partition, and copy them using Finder.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

An easier way is to make a third partition that is FAT32 and save all your file there. That way you don't need to "move" files anymore between the mac and windows side. FAT32 had read and write access by both OS's.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

If you don't wish to use a third partition, you could use a sync tool to syncronise the files between OS X and Windows. I use Windows Live Sync to do that and it works very well on OS X. Set it to monitor certain folders and then it will upload them automatically to the cloud and then download them if you switch OS.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note that a disadvantage of a third partition on the internal means that you will not be able to use Boot Camp Assistant to remove Windows anymore. (Without first removing the third partition at least).

Dropbox is another alternative which works well and also supports iOS devices well.

B

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Actually, I'm going to vouch for Dropbox over my initial suggestion of Live Sync. My reason for this is because Microsoft put a limit of 2GB of that can be synced upto the cloud with no hint of any limit increase, paid or otherwise, which I'm pretty annoyed about. Plus Live Sync is still in the beta phase.

7. joshuapending thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers

Thanks for the help guys, feel stupid for not just trying to find the file on my bootcamp partition and copy that. That worked just fine for my purposes. I tried to copy from windows straight to mac and that did not work so assumed it would not work the other way.

Again thanks for your help and time.

8. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Don't feel stupid, these things aren't always very obvious. That's why we come here to help each other!