Moving Files in Folders in Finder

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I'm running Leopard 10.6.8 on my MBP. I simply want re-arrange some files in a folder while in Finder. For example, a folders has four files in it that are not in order, say... 3,1,2,4,...,how can I move those files around so their 1,2,3,4,? Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Only by renaming them. Or changing to Icon View (CMD+1) and moving the icons in place, then pressing CMD+J and checking "Always open in Icon View".

Other than that I don't know of a way.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Well, sure there is! The example given was an "alphabetical" arrangement. That's certainly possible. If you want them in order by name, select Arrange by Name.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks guys. I'm thinking more like when I was a Windows user I could click on a file, drag and drop it in between other files and have it stay there. Is that possible in Snow Leopard?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks guys. I'm thinking more like when I was a Windows user I could click on a file, drag and drop it in between other files and have it stay there. Is that possible in Snow Leopard?
That doesn't work in Windows, either, unless you're in icon view. The same is true for SL.