Moving files (instead of copying)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chadi, May 29, 2007.

1. chadi macrumors member

Hey Guys,

Another simple, yet apparently not, simple question.

When I want to MOVE a file, say from my USB thumb drive to some mapped network drive, how do I MOVE it without copying/pasting/moving original item to trash.

Cut is greyed out and attempting to cmd+x just copies...so I assume that it's 'locked out for safety reasons' or ... tell me I don't have to add the extra drag to trash step every time...it doesn't seem like a big deal but this is a very common task for me (and I would assume a lot of people).

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Chad

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I only found out how to do this on Friday thanks to MacRumors. (Edit: thanks to angelwatt)

To move one or more files, select them, drag to the destination as if you were copying, and (this is important!) press the command (i.e. :apple:) key while releasing the mouse button

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That is brilliant! In the sense of "how in the heck are you supposed to figure that out?" :)

But at least I know now too.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Have you merged with infinity lately sir?

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I only stand on the shoulders of giants.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm in awe. I had no idea this feature existed. Crazy OS X and it's neat tricks...

7. chadi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys...glad I asked here, seems it helped more than just me :D

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you're moving things within the same volume (on your HD, for instance), you can hold down option as you select with your mouse, and it'll make a copy in the new location you're dragging to, rather than moving it (default within the same volume).

The default when going between volumes (external HD to internal, for example) is to make a copy, not move. To override it, you press command as was noted.

9. theISHkid macrumors regular

10. Winterfell macrumors regular

I would invest a little time playing with the terminal.

All these :apple: tricks are neat, but I'm just going to forget which key combination does what.

`mv`, `cp`, `rm` all work in terminal in OS X for moving, copying, and removing files, respectively. That's basically how I do everything. :p

11. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Unfortunately, the Terminal isn't as "unix illiterate friendly" as some people would like. :p

12. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I hope this hasn't been posted already, but you could also use something like FileCutter. It's a contextual menu item that will allow you to move files around by "cutting" and pasting rather than copying and pasting.

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, if I remember correctly I learned it by using the Mac Help feature. Unlike Windows, Mac's Help feature is usually helpful ... usually. Also, in System Preferences if you go into the Keyboard and Mouse section there's a tab for keyboard shortcuts, though it doesn't include this one, but does have other helpful ones like screen capturing.